Membership in the International Organization of Good Templars, working for temperance education, peace, and brotherhood since 1851, is open to all persons who abstain from drinking alcoholic beverages.
The aim of the International Organization of Good Templars founded in the year 1851, is the liberation of the peoples of the world to a richer, freer and more rewarding life. The Organization requires as a basis for membership total abstinence from intoxicating beverages and is totally opposed to any non-medical use of all dependence creating or habit-forming drugs.
The work of the Organization is built on the principle of universal human brotherhood; according to which all are entitled to the right of personal freedom, happiness and opportunity of self-expression and development. Accordingly, each individual person has a responsibility to work for the welfare of his fellow men and to contribute to the progress of mankind.
Good Templars wish to:
1. build a Worldwide Fellowship, gathering together men and women regardless of race, nationality, creed, social position or political opinion.
2. by personal total abstinence from alcohol and non-medical use of dependence creating drugs, set a good example, create sound living habits in the community, and make way for an alcohol-free culture.
3. induce the users of alcoholic drinks to abstain and give them support by accepting them into the Brotherhood of the Organization.
4. spread by efficient education, especially in schools, the knowledge of the effect of the beverage use of alcohol and of the use of drugs.
5. work for and promote laws against the traffic in alcohol and drugs, and for the enforcement of such laws.
6. work for a community in which equality and brotherhood will prevail.
7. cultivate spiritual freedom, wider tolerance and cooperation in all fields of human life.
8. work for lasting peace among all the peoples of the world.
APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP TO THE INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION OF GOOD TEMPLARS
NAME __________________________________________ Please print
ADDRESS _______________________________________ No. Street
_______________________________________ City State Zip
TELEPHONE ____________________________________ RECOMMENDED FOR MEMBERSHIP IN ______________ ________________________________________________ Chapter No. ________ by __________________________ ________________________________________________
Recognizing my responsibility towards myself and my fellow man, I solemnly promise to live a life of total abstinence from intoxicating beverages and to promote public acceptance of this principle. I furthermore promise that I will also, to the best of my ability, uphold the principles of the International Organization of Good Templars, concerning the brotherhood of man, peace, and cooperation among nations.
Initiated into membership in __________________ Chapter No. ________ by ___________________
send to GoodTemplar Park, 528 Eastside Drive, Geneva,Il 60134